Pursuant to the regulatory requirements contained in 29 CFR part 29 and 29 CFR part 30, Registration Agencies must evaluate performance of Registered Apprenticeship Programs (RAPs) to include, but not limited to: (1) quality assurance assessments and (2) Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) compliance reviews. In December of 2021, the Office of Apprenticeship (OA) revised its program review process to more accurately reflect current regulatory requirements for both parts.
The Apprenticeship Program Reviews (APR) and Extended Apprenticeship Program Reviews (EAPR) Manual provides OA staff with the complete knowledge and procedures necessary to conduct these comprehensive reviews. Updated in October 2022, see the Office of Apprenticeship Bulletin 2023-36 for more information.
Additional APR and EAPR Resources
These additional resources seek to achieve two goals: (1) provide all necessary information for the performance evaluation of a sponsor’s RA Program (RAP), and (2) offer quality technical assistance to help sponsors meet their EEO requirements and affirmative action goals. State Apprenticeship Agencies (SAAs) are encouraged to leverage this manual and the following resources to refine or update their review process.
- Apprenticeship Program Reviews Quick Reference Guide: This QRG is meant to provide RAP sponsors an overview of the apprenticeship program review process described in the APR and EAPR Manual.
- APR Checklists and EAPR Checklists: The APR and EAPR Checklists guide the reviewer through the program review and are completed in multiple stages. There are seven checklists for the APR and five checklists for the EAPR.
- Understanding Program Reviews for RAP Sponsors (Self-Paced PowerPoint): This 30-minute interactive and self-paced PowerPoint will summarize the two types of program reviews and the three components of a program review. This resource communicates much of the same information found within the webinar training below but also includes checks for understanding.
- Understanding Program Reviews for RAP Sponsors (Webinar Training): This 20-minute video will provide a high-level overview of the program review process to help sponsors prepare for program reviews.
- Two Methods for Assessing Underutilization: Why, What, and How:This circular attachment (2023-01A) summarizes the two most common methods of calculating utilization disparities between different population groups: the 80% method versus the standard deviation method. While sponsors may choose any “appropriate” method of statistical analysis to assess the significance of disparities, these two methods are specifically endorsed as “appropriate.” You can access all published OA circulars using this link: https://www.apprenticeship.gov/about-us/legislation-regulations-guidance/circulars.
Anti-Harassment and EEO Complaints Webinar: This roughly 30-minute webinar is intended for intermediaries who work with sponsors of Registered Apprenticeship Programs (RAPs). After watching, you should be able to recognize unlawful harassment, recall EEO requirements regarding anti-harassment, ensure that RAPs are free from harassment, and understand the rights related to filing a harassment complaint.